Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Book Siging Post


A Book Signing Post
 
This past weekend I had a book signing {and did a little beer tasting, just a little} at the Hollywood Rockstar Beer Festival. The event, which was held at the Avalon Hotel, right across the street from the Capital Records Bldg., was a large indoor venue that provided a nice air conditioned relief from the LA Summer Heat Wave.
 
While this festival is a little smaller than most of them (there are only around eighteen to twenty breweries) there are usually a good selection of Los Angeles and Southern California based brewers with a possible one or two that are from out of state.
 
Los Angeles based beer festivals are sometimes disappointing because of the lack of variety. Now before anyone asks why, which I will give the long answer in another post, the short answer is that it has do with what the companies have to offer and sample. I also do not want to offend anybody. But once again, it boils down to lack of variety.   
 
With that being said however, one of the standout beers was from Mad River Brewing in Humboldt, California. This small town brewery showcased their Lazy Lemon Ale that was a perfect brew to beat the summer heat. The lemony-zest like flavor was just enough to encourage a second [or third] taste.
 
Another showcase was from Common Ciders. Their Blackberry Sangria Cider had a very nice balance of tartness up front (from the Sangria) with the slight sweetness of the blackberries on the back end. I am NOT a sweet cider fan as I prefer the dry ciders, but this one was just right: Not overly sweet. But, it was another great way to help stay cool when having one of those "sweaty hot flash" moments.


And honestly, what I have found in doing my research is that the overly sweet ciders do turn a lot of people off, especially after they have drank that initial first pint. Also, what I have found with the sweet ciders is that after having that second pint, they really just do not taste that good overall. It is if the sweetness just masks whatever other flavors are trying to come forward and you just pucker from the excess sugar. And too many will give you one hell of a hangover - NO GOOD!!!! :(  
 
In the end though, I really enjoy doing signings at all kinds of beer and wine festivals (yes, I did say wine as well). I like to speak about my book (obviously) but I also enjoy chatting with the festival goers about the different types of beverages that the reps are pouring from their taps and like to hear different opinions on what beers people like and dislike. The differences on these opinions is very interesting.
 
I must admit though, the craft beer festivals of the Midwest do have a bit more character than ones that I have attended on the West Coast. They are just a bit different over here yonder. But hey, in reality, who am I to EVER turn down and sample a good brew!!!!!!


Check out any festivals that are in your area this summer and get sampling. And as always, RAISE A PINT OF ALE AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!! CHEERS

No comments:

Post a Comment